DCMASSHOLE

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Happy Memorial Day to All Those Who Provide Our Freedom


I want to thank all those men and woman that have served and died for this country so that America's prosterity may continue live their dreams in a free and open society. Their sacrifice for their families and country is one of the most noblest greatest deeds one can do.

My grandfather a WWII veteran that was wounded in the Pacific and received military awards was recently honored by the NFL Players Association for contributions to football. In his speech, he stated what he had done was nothing compared to what his son, my uncle, did in Vietnam being wounded three time and receiving the military awards for his actions in the mountains of Vietnam. I hope I had a hand in that because my grandfather would always compare the WWII generation to the Vietnam and saying why do the Vietnam veterans believe they are entitled to something.

I told my grandfather it was because the WWII generation were treated as heroes and supported by the entire country. The Vietnam Veterans came home to a divided country in which some called them baby killers and murders throwing eggs and other condiments at our returning soldiers. I then said how would you feel if you served your country honorably and did your duty as required, but came home to that reception. Upon, hearing what my grandfather did on his day, I think I had an impact on him and it is about time we as a country give the Vietnam Veterans their due. They served their country honorably and did not lose the war, it was the politicians that lost the war not our brave men and women trying to protect a democratic government in South Vietnam even though their own people did not have the will to fight for their own freedom. (Yes, I do know the history of South Vietnam and I'm aware that the only Catholic President in our history acquiesced to the assination of the democratically elected Catholic President of Vietnam.)

2 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger the doc said...

Amen and Amen!

Thank you from a proud Vietnam-era
veteran, who was lucky enough to be assigned to Germany. Not too much need for Pediatricians in Nam in those days, no dependents there, just kids fighting and dying for our country.

God bless those serving in Iraq and Afganistan today. I thank them and their families for their sacrifices, so that I can sit here and blog and live in the greatest country in the world.

God Bless America.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger StratoCade said...

I, too, think it's shameful the way some people treat servicemen as second-class citizens simply because they don't agree with the war.

I spent Memorial Day at the USS Arizona Memorial. It was a moving experience, and one I will not soon forget.

World War II united our country. Unfortunately every opportunity to unite our country has been squandered for cheap political points. In my estimation, that will likely continue until we have a true "consultant-proof" politican sitting in the White House (McCain?)...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>