DCMASSHOLE

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Weddings Suck If Your Are In Them!


After a respite of four years, the wedding bug has hit my friends. I have no problem attending a wedding, but I do when you're asked to be in them. You feel obligated to participate and easily agree. This year I'm in three weddings and will attend an additional fourth all over the country. Again, I don't have a problem attending. I usually have a tremendous amount of fun which is evidenced when viewing the couples' wedding videos. For some reason, the people taking the videos tend to focus on me as I dance. My dance moves are some where between Elaine on Seinfield and a person having an epileptic seizure.

As demonstrated above I have fun when I'm not in the wedding. However, when one is in the wedding the must conform to what the party wants them to wear. The first wedding I was in no problem with the tux. Thinking I can wear the tux again I ecstatic I will not have to pay more money. All my hopes are dashed a day later when I get a call from my friend from law school, his fiance decides we will be wearing brown suits down in North Carolina. Honestly, who wears a brown suit on their wedding? I told him, but I have this nice black tuxedo I wearing for the wedding I currently in could he change his fiance's mind. The answer was no because he would not even attempt to change her mind. Then I found out the next wedding is a different color tux. Now, I'm thinking being in weddings is a big PAIN IN THE ASS. It ruins your weekend, wallet, and free time. Not only his your friend joining the old ball and chain, you are for an entire weekend.

Now after all these expenses of getting the proper dress, hotel room, air fare, and booze tab (this expense if fine) you are expected to by a present. Are you serious, after all the money I spent now I have to buy a present. The only present you get for being in the wedding is a small token of their appreciation. The last wedding that I was a groomsmen I received cuff links. That was fine, but when I saw what the best man got I wanted to exchange, but could not be my initials were on the cuffs. You see he received a print of one of my favorite artists Caravaggio. All I had to do was look at and I said that is a Caravaggio' The Betrayal of Jesus. A beautiful painting that uses light and darkness well to send to the viewer a poignant message. It was because of this print the made me realize, I rather attend a wedding then be in it. Frankly, I'm honored to be by my friend's sides, but it is not worth it when you can show support by attending and seeing all your other friends because you are not locked into the wedding parties plans. Call me selfish, but that is my rant for today.

5 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger the doc said...

(A) Brown suits go good with red necks and white socks in North Carolina.

(B) Be thankful you are not a bridesmaid who has to purchase a hideous dress that she will never ever wear again. You, on the other hand, will probably have use for that brown suit someday. As for the tux, maybe. Have you eever heard of "rental".

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger DCMASSHOLE said...

Doc, it is true about the suit. I will probably use it just a couple of days after the wedding in NYC.

As for the tux, I did rent, but I was thinking buying one would save one. However, I did not buy it after I was told we were wearing suits.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger StratoCade said...

I was about to say: I have a basic black tux I wear on special occassions and when I'm best man - for all my other weddings, save one, the groom's family has always taken care of the rental charges.

You know you enjoy the performance aspect of being in a wedding. I've never even met you, but I can't imaging you don't enjoy being 'on stage'...

Oh, and about the presents, throw the chicken in a bucket and motherfuckit. You'll get all that stuff back when you have a wedding, commitment ceremony or whatever you decide on. It's like gifting on a loop.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger DCMASSHOLE said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger DCMASSHOLE said...

You are right, I do like being on stage, especially if I'm speaking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>