DCMASSHOLE

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Happy Easter


Happy Easter, I did my Catholic duty by attending the Easter Vigil. It starts with a fire outside the church where the Easter Candle is lit and from there smaller candles are lit as the parishioners march into the Church. Once, there from darkness comes light. It is very symbolic as when Jesus died and arose again to become the light of the world. The whole experience is very moving.



From that point on it becomes rising and sitting, rising and sitting, rising and sitting, rising and sitting. The whole mass is a very long ordeal with 7 readings that has 7 psalms and then the Epistle to the Romans and Finally the Homily. Another touching part that brings the history and heirarchy of the church to the forefront it the singing of Litany of Saints. This is the song that is sung to call on the Saints to protect God's children and the newly baptized parishioners into the Catholic Church. It is a very beautiful song and makes you think of the sacrifices and devotion to God these people made.

Well, the mass finally goes to renunciation of sin, with questions do you denounce sin, Satan, ..Etc. I do knowing full well that I will be going out with friends right after and probably going to sin. This does remind me of a funny story in which many years ago my friends and I attended Midnight Mass for Christmas and one of my friends was so drunk we had to take him out of the church. I blame myself for it because I challenged him to do shots of ouzo that I just got from Greece. However, I did behave myself this time and only had a few Bombay Sapphires while celebrating a friends birthday. Then I called it an early night because I wanted to get up for a run and to study. I hope everyone has a good Easter and Passover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>